Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Demons and Spiritual Warfare

IMG_7289Way back in October, after returning home from the church workers' conference in Breckenridge, we weren't home long before we decided to visit another mountainous area. This time we headed for Estes Park. With all the flooding Colorado received this fall, roads were washed away and closed so, we had to take the scenic route to Estes. With a fresh dusting of snow the drive was gorgeous.
_MG_3441.jpgThis man, above, is brilliant. Dr. John Kleinig blessed us with a wonderful workshop on Demons and Spiritual Warfare.
_MG_3443.jpg
The New Testament is full of teaching on demons and the strategy of the devil. I'm sure Dr. Kleinig could only hit on a few points but, what he did teach on was pretty stunning. We, as Christians, can find comfort in the weapons that Christ has given to us through prayer, baptism, and the Lord's Supper. For that I am thankful. His Australian accent was an added bonus to the already amazing conference. I think I could listen to him for days and days.

_MG_3445.jpg
Of course he probably needed a short break from teaching so, we set up a little wine and cheese reception.

_MG_3447.jpg
The company was fabulous and the food was plentiful. Thank you to Thrivent for sponsoring the reception and thank you to my mother-in-law for helping me set this up, and to Gina for buying all the food.

IMG_7291
We served up a lot of wine, and some even lost their heads over all the awesomeness. (iPhone panorama, nuff said.)

IMG_7293
I didn't serve wine all night. I got a short break too.  If you ever have the chance to sit in and listen to Dr. Kleinig definitely make it a priority in your schedule. It's well worth it. This man is brilliant, not only for his Biblical knowledge, but just as a fellow Christian. He even remembers conversations you've had with him two years ago. I wish I could remember a conversation I had last week.

IMG_7302
We couldn't stay in Estes forever so, as we headed out of town, along with fellow gawkers, we had to check out this massive buck, who obviously does not fear people because he was surrounded. Estes Park should also be on your list of places to visit if you come to Colorado. It's one of our favorite places.

2 comments:

Heather said...

You know what I love about your blog? That I can look at the blog feed every few days and see your posts titled:

"We went to the zoo!"

"Chicken Fiesta Soup"

"S'mores Cupcakes"

But I'm also not totally surprised to see:

"Demons and Spiritual Warefare"

;-)

looks like a good time. {There are a lot of 666s in this captcha...}

Adriane said...

I heart Dr. Kleinig. And Clair. Did you know they spent the night in Jeni's basement once? You should ask her for that story.