Are you ready for another Food Network Magazine recipe? This one passed with flying colors with my Lutheran Stud as well as my children. What I love about this chicken salad sandwich is that it doesn't sit heavy in your stomach like so many other chicken salad sandwiches. Don't get me wrong I'm sure this still isn't the healthiest of sandwiches out there, but it sure is a keeper here.
We'll begin by making a walnut dill pesto which is a great change from the typical basil pesto in which you are used to eating.
The recipe says to add onion slices later, but I just chopped them up and added them to the mix. It's easier and tastes just as great.
Find your favorite bread. I really love Ciabatta bread. It's one of my favorites. Add some lettuce and tomatoes to it if you'd like. I also like to add a little mayo to both pieces of bread. Then plop a little chicken salad on top. Enjoy!
Chicken Salad Sandwiches with Walnut-Dill Pesto
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced (I diced or maybe minced.)
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small bunch of dill, (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1- 2 1/2 pound rotisserie chicken (or 4 grilled chicken breasts)
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 head lettuce, leaves separated
- Favorite bread or rolls (I used Ciabatta rolls)
- Combine onion, lemon juice, sugar, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Put the dill, walnuts, and garlic in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil until the mixture comes together, scraping down the sides of the processor as needed. Transfer the dill pesto to a large bowl and stir in the lemon zest and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add the chicken and toss to coat.
- Drain the onion and squeeze dry. Drizzle tomatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Divide the lettuce and tomatoes among 4 pieces of bread; top each with some chicken salad, onion and another piece of bread. Serve, with chips or fruit salad.