Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Puree- It's Not Just For Babies

_MG_2331.jpgThis year since I knew I would have to make some sort of pumpkin dessert for Thanksgiving or it just wouldn't be right. Well, rather than go out and buy that stuff in a can I thought I'd try making my own pumpkin puree. Now why haven't I done this sooner? It's such an easy and economical thing to do.
_MG_2333.jpgStart by cutting your pumpkins in half and gutting them. You can save the seeds and roast them if you'd like.
_MG_2335.jpgSprinkle a baking sheet with olive, vegetable, or canola oil. Then lay your pumpin halves on top of the oil. This prevents the pumpkins from drying out.
_MG_2338.jpgStick them in the oven at 350 degrees for one hour.
_MG_2343.jpgThat's it. Just one hour and walk away. When you return and pull those pumpkins out they'll look like this-roasted to perfection.
_MG_2348.jpgLet them sit and cool down a bit. Not too long though, or it will get difficult to scoop the insides out.
_MG_2345.jpgWhile the pumkins are still warm, but cool enough to handle start scooping out the insides. It should be as smooth as butter.
_MG_2350.jpgYou pumpkin skins will look like deflated basketballs.
_MG_2353.jpgPut all of that pumpkin meat in a blender and puree to your heart's content. No need to add any sort of liquid. Did you know that pumpkin itself has quite a bit of liquid?
_MG_2356.jpgSince pumpkin really does carry around a lot of liquid that we don't want, line a strainer with a coffee filter.
_MG_2360.jpgDump your pumpkin in there and just let it sit for about an hour.
_MG_2367.jpgLook at all of that juice! What to do what to do with it? Okay, I just dumped it out, but one could get creative. Maybe next time.
_MG_2366.jpgI used my double boiling pots. That way the liquid drained straight into the pot below. Use your pumkin puree however you'd like. I had fun making a pumpkin cheesecake and some cupcakes with plenty of puree leftover. It's now safely bagged up in my freezer waiting for Christmas. Now wasn't that easy? I think we'll have to grow some extra pumpkins next year. Stay tuned for some recipes with pumpkin in them. :)

2 comments:

Mary P said...

I always thought making my own pumpkin purée would be complicated but you malt it look so simple. Maybe next year I'll be bold enough totry it myself. I love your blog

Kristen said...

I've made my puree in the slow cooker, and loved that! It was just as simple! 2 to 3 hours and the pumpkins just fell off their skin. Delicious!