Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Get Up and Go

_MG_4063.jpg. . . Granola! I'm a snacker. I like to snack on things. I might even snack all day if I could. Lauren made granola once and ever since then I've been wanting to make some. The only problem was that her recipe had coconut in it. Yuck! (I know you're with me on this, Adriane.) When I saw this Get Up and Go Granola in Tony Horton's Bring It book I thought I could finally make some granola. I did change it a bit from the original. You can see the recipe below.
_MG_4050.jpg
Here's your cast of ingredients. I added raisins, and then I decided not to add raisins, so it's just in the photo to look pretty and add a little color. The closest thing I've got to maple syrup at the moment is dear Mrs. Butterworth's. I'm sure Mr. Horton would not approve of the high fructose corn syrup in his substitue maple syrup, but it's just going to have to do for now.
_MG_4051.jpg
Mix dry ingredients well.
_MG_4056.jpg
In a small bowl mix the wet ingredients.
_MG_4058.jpg
Then pour the wet into the dry bowl. Mix it well.
_MG_4059.jpg
Then spread the mixture onto a baking sheet.
_MG_4062.jpg
Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. This is a new favorite around here. I think it'll be around just as much as the chocolate chip cookies! 



Get Up and Go Granola
3 cup rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup oat flour or spelt flour (I didn’t add any)
1 cup walnuts, chopped, or any other nut (I used peanuts and almonds)
1/2 cup flaxseed
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup grapeseed oil (I used 1/2 cup)
3/4 cup maple syrup or agave nectar (I used 1/2 cup)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, flour, nuts, flaxseed, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom. Mix well.
In a small bowl, combine the oil, syrup, and extract. Whisk together. Pour mixture over the oats mixture. Stir to combine.
Spread granola evenly on the baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove it from the oven and let it sit for 5 minutes to crisp up. Then break it into chunks. 

No comments: