Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Devil Dogs

_MG_3366.jpg
If you peruse The Pioneer Woman's website, perhaps you saw her post a recipe for Devil Dogs. Well, it just so happens that, that very same day we had company coming over for dinner. I had everything planned out, even dessert. Then I received an email saying that one of our guests had allergies to a whole long list of things. Uh, oh! Well, now I'm scrambling. The dessert I had planned wasn't going to work. I had to come up with something quick. I didn't have time to run to the store. Luckily, for me, I had everything needed to make Devil Dogs! So here we go.
_MG_3325.jpg
First, make The Pioneer Woman's Chocolate Sheet Cake, or other chocolate cake that you enjoy. Let it cool._MG_3339.jpg
To make these cute little cakes I used biscuit cutters. I had two different sizes and it worked perfectly.
_MG_3341.jpg
Cute little round circles!_MG_3342.jpg
Smaller cute circles!
_MG_3353.jpg
When you're finished cutting out circles your children will love you because they will get to eat the scraps. :)_MG_3344.jpg
Next we're going to make the frosting for these devils! This is milk and flour whisked together and heated. It should be thick, thick, thick. Set that aside to cool._MG_3347.jpg
In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together._MG_3350.jpg
Then you're going to add the milk/flour mix and whip the frosting like crazy. I mean it. Put it on super-high speed and whip it up until it looks like whip cream. Yum!_MG_3351.jpg
Then put your adorable little cakes together by frosting one of the larger cakes then stacking a smaller one on top. Then frost the top of the smaller cake with a cute little design. Done! How easy was that?_MG_3357.jpg
I made smaller cakes for the children.
_MG_3354.jpgI had some leftover strawberry frosting from THESE cupcakes in my freezer, so pulled out for these cakes. As much as I'm not a pink fan, I do love pink and brown together.
_MG_3360.jpg
These cakes were fabulous. Rebecca said they look like mini wedding cakes. Aren't they fun?
Best White Frosting Ever

5 Tablespoons Flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar

In a small sauce pan, whisk flour into milk and heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens. You want it to be very thick, thicker than cake mix. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature. It MUST be cool before using it for the next stop. Stir in vanilla.

While the mixture is cooling, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Then add the completely cooled milk/flour/vanillla mixture and beat the tar out of the it. Beat it until it looks similar to whipped cream.

Now you’re done, so go frost your cake!
_MG_3352.jpg

1 comment:

Adriane said...

Dear Jan,
If you could stop making Jeni and I feel like we suck at life in comparison to you and Kel, that'd be GREEEEEEAT.
Sincerely,
Adriane

PS These are awesome!