Sunday, February 6, 2011

Old T-Shirts

20110114_0018.jpgDo you have any old t-shirts laying around? Look. I do. I think I've had these shirts since I was in college. I'm not sure why, but I just couldn't get rid of them. There is just something about t-shirts, I guess. I probably haven't even worn them since my college days, but I've carted them around every time we've moved, which happens to be a lot. I also love the color purple. It's my favorite color. What does one do with t-shirts they don't wear anymore, but can't get rid of? If you're me, you cut them up and make something. Here is my latest project.
20110114_0037.jpgCut up those shirts into 4 inch squares. If you have a rotary cutter it will be fast, easy, and hopefully painless. :) I got 24 squares out of each size small t-shirt.
20110114_0038.jpgNow line your squares up on top of each other. Match up the ends. You can pin them, or not. I'm lazy and I can't stand pinning things, but I know I probably should.
20110114_0040.jpgJust start sewing down the middle. It doesn't have to be perfect. (And Lauren, if it's not straight, I won't make you pull out the sitches and redo it.) It will look just fine and nobody will see your uneven lines.
Scarf1.jpgSee? People will just tell you how cute your new scarf is. I sewed the two purples together. As it turns out I love how full it is. The scarf is incredibly long, but when you fold it in half and then put it on I think it's the perfect size.
_MG_2899.jpg
I made the striped scarf with just 24 squares and it was a little on the thin side for me. I might play around with that one a little more. Give it a try. I'd love to see some scarf pictures! (Yes, I know I need to wash my mirrors. That smudge is driving me nuts too.)

2 comments:

Lauren said...

LOVE it. Super cute. Your grey shirt is adorable too. You're lovely, Jan.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Lauren!