Saturday, August 21, 2010

Over the Mountains….

When people talk about Washington state they think of clouds or rain or green evergreen trees, water or mountains .  At least that’s what people think if they’ve never actually been there. Am I right?  However, little do people know that there is life on the other side of the Cascades, and on that other side it’s kind of like a desert.FireAs we left Seattle and travelled to Jared’s parents house in Yakima we were told that brush fire had started.  At first we didn’t think much of it.  You hear about fires often in the desert.  Fire2This fire wasn’t that small.  We took off to see how close we could get to it, but didn’t have much luck. Fire3See all that dry brush?  I don’t know if there’s much hope for it.  The sky does look kind of pretty though doesn’t it? Fire4

I don’t think these photos really show how high the flames really were.  I’m not even sure myself, but I think some of the flames were as high as a two story building or house.Fire5These cows are oblivious to what is going on.  Although nothing probably happened to them since they are in a nice lush pasture. Fire6 Can you see the tiny houses and flames?  They aren’t really that tiny.Fire7 Firefighters were called in from all over.Fire8 This is the view from Jared’s parents’ house that night.  The fire was making it’s way over the ridge.Fire9I heard that over 6000 acres were burned and a house was lost.  Crazy things happen in the desert.

2 comments:

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

Oh my goodness. That is terrible. And yet I am mesmerized by your pictures.

Colleen Oakes said...

Jan...AMAZING pictures. Terrible but amazing.