Saturday, March 27, 2010

Chicken (Turkey) Korma

I am now a proud recipient of the Food Network Magazine.  It’s one of my favorite TV channels, so this totally makes sense right?  Okay. So let’s get started.  Turn to page 90 of the March 2010 issue.  This is what we’re making today!  It turned out great, so you should try it.Chicken17The flavor of this Chicken Korma was so good.  Oh, I used turkey instead, but still, it was incredible. Chicken  Pull out your food processor.  I just have this tiny, mini thing that I got when I was thrift store shopping with Kellee.  $4 bucks isn’t bad right? Chicken1So anyway throw your onion, ginger, and garlic in there and pretty much puree it.  Now since my food processor is so tiny I had to do this a little bit at a time.  I am sure you can just throw everything in at once.  Maybe I’ll use my blender next time. Chicken2Now we’re going to add some spices.   Chicken3Just half a teaspoon of coriander seed and salt. Chicken4Next add a teaspoon of cumin. Chicken5I like the flavor of cumin, so I added a touch more.Chicken6Add half a cup of water.  Chicken8Then start pureeing the heck out of it all. Chicken9You’ll get this nice paste. Chicken10Next start cooking your sliced onions and add the paste to it. Chicken11Once that smell starts filling your kitchen add your chicken, or in my case turkey.  Cook that up until the juices are opaque.  That’s right, not clear, opaque. Chicken12To help things stick together a little better add some yogurt mixed with a little water.  Let that simmer a bit. Chicken13Meanwhile, pull out your pita bread.  We’re going to warm them up and make them a little more manageable. Go ahead and brush a little oil on both sides.  Then toast them for about a minute on each side.Chicken14Now back to the chicken.  Add peas.  They add a pretty color don’t they? Chicken15Next add some cilantro for some more good flavor.  And we’re almost done. Chicken16 Take your pita bread and dump a spoonful or more on top of your pita.  Top that with more yogurt and cilantro.  Then for a little crunch add some cashews.  Then eat like a taco!  I did find that, for the kids, it was better cut the pitas in half and stuff everything into the pockets.  Less mess.

 Chicken Korma
  • 1 Large red onion; 1/2 chopped, 1/2 thinly sliced
  • 1 1inch piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 2 garlic cloves smashed
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • Kosher salt
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3/4 pound ground chicken (I used to turkey)
  • 1/4 cup plain yogurt, plus more for garnish
  • 1/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
  • 4 pocketless pitas
  • Chopped cashews
  1. Puree chopped onion in a food processor with ginger, garlic, coriander, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 cup water
  2. Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium high heat.  Add the sliced onion and cook until golden, about 4 or 5 minutes. Add spice paste and cook, stirring, until slightly dry.  Add the chicken and cook until opaque.  Mix the yogurt with 1/4 cup water and add to the pan, simmer over medium low heat until the meat is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes.  Add peas and cilantro and season with salt.
  3. Meanwhile, heat another skillet over high heat.  Brush pitas with oil and season with salt.  Toast them in the skillet about 1 minute per side.  Divide chicken mixture among pitas.  Top with more yogurt and cilantro.  Garnish with cashews if desired.
Chicken18

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds tasty, Jan. I got a few recipes from my SIL's Food Magazine. Can't wait to try them :)

Amy said...

Thank you, thank you for posting this!! It looks wonderful...I can't wait to try it! I've been waiting for some of those recipes you told me about :)