Saturday, February 13, 2010

Spinach Artichoke Dip

Since President Obama just signed a memorandum to establish a task force to work on this growing epidemic of childhood obesity in our country I thought I would share another one of my favorite recipes.  Okay.  Sorry.  This probably won’t work for Mrs. Obama’s campaign, but it’s a darn good dip and I’ll eat what I want.  I don’t think the government should be telling me what I should or shouldn’t eat and when or how to exercise.  That’s just not right.  Anyways, on to the recipe!SA8It has spinach in it, so it’s a little healthy, right?SAGrab a couple jars of artichoke hearts.  Chop them up.  You can taste a little.  Go ahead.  I always do. SA1 To make things a little easier just get some frozen chopped spinach.  Make sure it’s thawed.  Then squeeze out all of the  excess water.  Next combine that with your artichokes.SA4Next comes the good stuff.  You know.  Add your cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, shredded Parmesan cheese.  Mix all together and spread it out on a 7x11 dish.  You can sprinkle with bread crumbs or do what I do.  I like to sprinkle it with more parmesan cheese.  Stick it in the oven for 25 minutes.SA5 Voila!  Your taste buds will be incredibly grateful to you.  
Spinach Artichoke Dip

  • 1 10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed

  • 2 6.5 ounce jars marinated artichokes, drained and chopped

  • 1 1/2  8 ounce packages of cream cheese softened

  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise

  • 3 large garlic cloves pressed (or minced.  I mince.)

  • 2 Tablespoons lemon juice

  • 1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese, shredded
Optional:

  • 1 1/2 cup bread crumbs

  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted.
Drain spinach and press between layers of paper towels to remove excess moisture.  Combine spinach, artichokes, cream cheese, garlic, mayo, lemon juice,  and1 cup parm. cheese.  Mix it all together really well.  Spoon it onto a 11x7 baking dish.  Next melt your butter and combine it with the bread crumbs.  Sprinkle over the top of the mixture.  Or use the rest of the parmesan cheese to sprinkle over the top.  Bake, uncovered at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.  Serve warm with bagel chips.
SA9
My friend Lauren shared this recipe with me when we lived in Fort Wayne, Indiana.  I’ve been hooked on it ever since.  We used to gobble this up until we were sick.  It’s like that Buffalo Chicken Dip.  It’s so good you just can’t stop eating it. 

2 comments:

Kellee said...

Save some for me! I will be right there.

DeAnn Hein said...

I made an artichoke dip a long time ago that completely bombed. I'm making this the next time we have a get together. You've saved me. Thanks!