Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Chicken Noodle Soup

Chicksoup1A lovely lady at church gave me this recipe.  It’s the best chicken noodle soup I have ever had. I’m not exaggerating. It really is the best. This lady happens to be one of my favorite people as well.  I probably shouldn’t have favorites at church, but I do.  Well, I actually have a TON of favorite people at church.  What can I say.  The Lord has blessed us with an incredible congregation.  I love just about everyone there.  Okay, enough about that.  You’re looking at these photos wanting the recipe now right?  I’ll try my best.  It might be a little confusing.  Sorry no detailed pictures this time.  I’m getting lazy in my old age.chicksoup2To start off bring a large stock pot of water with a little salt to a boil.  Then grab some chicken and add it to the pot.  I believe that thighs and wings have the most flavor to them.  If you are extremely lazy just go to Sam’s Club or Costco and grab one of those rotisserie chickens that is already cooked.   If you decide to do this you’ll only need to debone and deskin the thing.  For those of you doing this the old fashioned way, simmer the chicken until the lovely aroma fills your home and your neighbor comes over and tells you that your house smells really good.

While your chicken is simmering, chop up carrots, celery, and onion.  If you have texture issues, then keep chopping until all the pieces are super tiny.  Stick that in a separate pot and cook until almost tender.  Strain the vegetables and dispose of the water.

Next you want to pull the chicken out of the pot to cool a bit.  Then debone and deskin it.  Set it aside.  Save the broth from the chicken. Add a couple cans of cream of chicken, or one large can, to the broth.  If you got your chicken precooked just get some chicken broth and mix it together with the cream of chicken.

Then grab a stick or two of butter. REAL BUTTER.  None of that fake stuff.  It doesn’t have enough flavor or goodness to it.  I start with a stick and that is usually enough.  It depends on how your cholesterol is doing.  Melt the butter then thicken it up with flour until it’s nice and creamy.  Thicken it up to the consistency of cake icing.  Then dump it into the broth and cream of chicken.  Mmmm…

Next, add the vegetables and chicken to the soup.  Stir it gently, so the vegetables don’t break and get all mushy.

Now this next part is the cheater part.  Either pull out your pasta maker and make a ton of egg noodles from scratch or get some of those frozen egg noodles from the grocery store.  Cook them up according to package directions.  Then shred the bag, so no one will know that you didn’t make them from scratch.  Add the noodles to the soup, stir it around a little and let it sit for a bit so all the flavors mesh together just right. Grab your bowls and serve it up!  This soup is also great the next day, you know kind of like lasagna, the day after, almost tastes better because all of the ingredients have settled in nicely together.

chicksoup4

  • Chicken (thighs and legs are best) or Rotisserie
  • Salt
  • Chicken broth
  • Carrots
  • Onion
  • Celery
  • Cream of Chicken
  • Butter

Sorry I can’t give you exact measurements.  It’s one of those things that you have to taste along the way and figure out if you should add more of this or that.  Good luck.  Let me know how it goes if you try it.

***I’ve changed the layout of my blog, so if you get emails, I’m not sure you will be able to read this email.  This will be a test post.  If it doesn’t work I will change the color of my font.  If you want to see this recipe you’ll have to click on the link at the bottom of the email and go straight to my blog.  Sorry for the inconvenience… if there is one.  :)***

1 comment:

Colleen Oakes said...

I am SO making this next week.